Gov. Mitch Daniels' property tax plan gives even greater weight to the County Boards of Tax and Capital Projects Review that begin in 2009. Daniels called for the boards to trim budgets "as needed to keep our taxes down."
Who will be on those boards?
Under the law passed by this year's General Assembly, it varies depending on how many cities, towns and school corporations are in the county. In all but the Marion County, voters will elect two of the nine members.
In Allen County, the board will include the two elected members and:
- A county council member
- A Fort Wayne City Council member
- A member of the Fort Wayne Community Schools board
- The New Haven and Woodburn city councils will choose one of its members to represent both councils.
- The three other school districts will choose one member to represent the three, with the board being represented to alternate.
- The town boards of Allen County's four towns choose one of their members to represent all the towns.
- The county auditor.